Thursday, June 18, 2009


This is the building where my classes are. (I finally figured out how to get there! haha)



This is in the middle of our building. It's a really neat plant. Also, the grass here is weird. it's pointy. and feels really good on your feet.



This is my sweet ride!



Another angle of my bike. I love it so much



Eden and Katy at Golconda fort



The view from the top




There are little shrines like this all over Golconda that are super old.


An old wall




There was a row of houses right below the fort




This is Satish, he's the assistant director of the SIP (Study in India Program). He's really cool and took us all to Charminar and Golconda





Other side of the wall




Golconda



more golconda




Golconda



Golconda






Ok so yesterday me, Ally, Isabelle, and Maweish all went shopping and we planned on going out to subway afterward. We were all craving sandwiches and there was supposed to be a subway near the place we were shopping. So we finish up shopping (I got some more awesome clothes!) and we go to get in a rickshaw. Now luckily Maweish speaks Hindi so she's talking to the rickshaw driver and he tells her that he knows where the Subway is. So we all pile in and head out with thoughts of sandwiches in the near future. About a half hour later we realize that this richshaw driver has no idea where the subway is and so we're trying to figure it out but it's just not working. So we're driving down the street and we see a sign on this restuarant that says Italian and Indian food. So we just told him to drop us off there.

First of all, we all figure it's gonna be super expensive because it's extra fancy looking. So we ask to see a menu, and of course it's not expensive at all. It was like $4 a plate. So we were like ok this might be ok. So we went in and the place was completely empty. I mean we were literally the only people there. It was about 7:30 and the place was dead. So we took that as another sign that the food was gonna be crappy. But we stuck it out anyways.

So we sit down and we have the entire restaurant waiting on us since we're the only ones there. We order and when the food comes we're all a little weary. Because not only is it incredibly cheap, it's also empty in this restaurant, and frankly, ordering Italian food in India is always a little iffy.
We were all pleasantly suprised to find out that the food was amazing. I mean by any standards the food was just exceptional. I had spinach ravioli in a tomato cream sauce with broccoli, capers and sundried tomatos. Oh my word, so good. The other girls had pizza and they said it was fantastic.

It was kind of silly how excited we all were about how good the food was. But we've been eating Indian food 3 times a day every day for the past 2 weeks, so italian food is like heaven.

So our rickshaw driver not being able to find the Subway ended up being a blessing because this restaurant was amazing. We were like kids in a candy store!!

Oh and also, Indians generally eat pretty late, like 9:30-10ish, so as we were getting ready to leave it got busy.



Me being really happy about my dinner




Me and Maweish enjoying the evening



Oh also, they had beer and diet pepsi so Ally was really excited about both of those.




Maweish again!

5 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Italian food in India. Well I guess Italian food is really international. Remind me to tell you about Italian food in Japan. So, going to Subway as in "$5 dollar footlongs"? I guess you need a break from Indian fare from time to time but don't pass up a chance for some of that street food! I'm glad to see that you are getting out and about with new friends. What a break that Maweish speaks Hindi. That makes the process easier and more fun.
    Dad
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice that the carving in the old shrine at Golconda shows what appears to be a monkey. Are there many monkeys there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup subway as in "$5 footlong" subway. I knew you would have something to say about that!@ haha

    Actually there aren't any monkeys around. I mean apperantly they exist on campus and other people have said they've seen them but I haven't seen any myself.

    Yea we were really lucky to have Maweish or else we would have been absolutely screwed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you know how I feel! Eat the local food and drink the local beer!! Still, going to a local run establishment for their take on Italian constitutes eating local as far as I'm concerned, but a U.S. chain?!

    ReplyDelete